Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Employment Process - Teach ESL Korea (TEK) - I


In my previous post I ended with finding a contact/recruiter. Teach ESL Korea (TEK). Dan Henrickson. I try to save every email regarding my journey to getting here. So, after I wrote a brief introduction, he wrote back in mid Sept. , "Hi Debra, My wife, Aggie, said you emailed us, for us to help. Please submit an online application, and I will do my best to help you with this exciting process.
Please be very aware the chances of finding something inside Seoul, are extremely low right now, as there is a huge surplus of teachers, and more people always want to be in Seoul, if they don't know much about the country, and wide variety of cities to choose from."

I really liked that he told me about his wife and that he would help. More importantly was that he told me about finding work in Seoul is difficult now. I understood that the economy has forced many foreigners to look for work in other countries and many who are there stay longer because they love it, and is steady employment. Something that is hard to find anywhere. That was a reality check for me. I wasn't alone on this journey and the market is more in the Koreans hands. They had their choice instead of us having the upper hand.

Filled out the application, which was easy. Basic info about me, name, address, contact info... nationality, current location and nearest airport. education, resume, starting date, photo (Koreans prefer female and white, not that other races aren't accepted but not preferred)... at bottom had to tell why I should be hired along with other optional info that can give them more to work from. I did tell them that working in a rural setting wasn't optional, I need to be near foreigners and amenities for everyday needs. I was very clear on what I wanted and the type of school environment I was looking for. Mid to large size cities and institutional setting with professional and collegiate age students. It was what I had and like when in Peru.

After applying, I got this email from my rep. " Thank you for sending us your online application. My name is Michelle Laarissa and I'll be your Teacher Rep, working you through the process of finding a job in Korea! I've taken a bit of time to look through your application and resume and you will qualify to teach in Korea! Your TESOL Certificate and 2 years of experience will make you a prime candidate and I'm excited to help you in starting this excellent adventure!

The first step of this process, will be for you to gather each of these important documents. Please update me, in detail, as to the progress with each one (ie. In hand, or Ordered & expected arrival date):

So, here was all the details she wrote about all of paperwork required that I posted previously. This is important. If you want to leave within 2 months, get this paperwork ready asap. It will hold of process if you don't and possibly lose a job you would be perfect for. At the time of this email. I was just waiting for my duplicate original diploma. But had my copy already apostilled. (also see link in previous post for details).

Back to her email:
Don't worry! It sounds like a lot, but it usually goes smoothly and I am here to help you with it all.

For most teachers, the document which takes the longest is the criminal record check, so please start with that right away.

I would also like to get an idea what you are looking for in regards to the "Types of Cities", and "Types of Jobs", as described on our website. Please try and be as flexible as possible, as the market right now is very competitive, with many qualified applicants. I've also attached a quiz that I'd like for you to take a look at - Korea is not the best choice for everyone, and this quiz helps to bring up some of the key issues. Please complete it and return it to me.

Thanks, I look forward to talking to you soon.
~Michelle
"

Very personable and can tell that her perspective was also from experience, not just business jargon. I am a people person and can tell she was too. Got to see things from the customer's perspective. Here, she gets into more detail than Dan about the competitive market. Again, I did about my preference but open to size of city as long as it was mid to large. I really like mid as it is not as overwhelming and has the country near by and nature is very important to me. At the end she talked about a quiz. It really helps you see if this is the right type of work for you. Because if you realize it isn't then you save yourself and them time on continuing the process. Good questions. Here is what it says:
Am I REALLY Ready to Move to Korea?

Take the Quiz and find out!

Please answer these questions, True or False. This is the time to be honest with yourself. Answering “false” will not necessarily disqualify you from going to Korea, but does need to be discussed with your Teacher Rep. Once you’ve completed the quiz, please email back to your Teacher Rep and he/she will send you more background about each question.

    1. ____ My family and friends think that this is a great idea and support me 100%!
    2. ____ I love the adventure of experiencing a new culture, or am at least very excited to give it a try!
    3. ____ I understand that friends and/or family might get married, or have babies while I am in Korea. I’m okay to miss these milestone events.
    4. ____ I see “problems” as opportunities and am good at taking things as they come.
    5. ____ I know that culture shock is not usually an enjoyable experience and it comes in cycles (so I might feel it a couple times while being in Korea).
    6. ____ I understand that while I need to be smart, there will come a point when I will need to trust Teach ESL Korea, my school and/or Korean partners with circumstances that are beyond my control.
    7. ____ I am comfortable in situations where people are speaking a foreign language (Korean) and I might not understand.
    8. ____ I’m healthy, do not use drugs (at all), and have no tattoos.
    9. ____ I have never been in trouble with the law, not even a misdemeanor or dismissed charge.
    10. ____ I am flexible and willing to go to a school and/or city that suits my education, age and experience best, not to mention ethnic background.
    11. ____ I’m aware that the ESL market in Korea has shifted over the past year and has become a school’s market, meaning that they will not fight for me, but will just move on to the next applicant if I take too long to make my decision (after being offered a job) or if I am too picky.
    12. ____ I know there will be hiccups along the way, there always are. When all is said and done, I will have my own story to tell of how I got to Korea, similar to birth stories that mothers tell.
    13. ____ I check my email account daily and am available by phone to discuss job opportunities and details. If I’m going to unreachable for more than a day or two, I will let my Teacher Rep know immediately.
    14. ____ I know that my Teacher Rep has my best interests at heart and I will disclose any bit of information that I think might be important along the way. Bottom-line: I trust my Teacher Rep and will keep him/her well –informed.
    15. ____ I know this is a one-year commitment and I’m in, 110%! I might be nervous, but I’m mostly excited.
So, I answered everything as true except about the city preferences. Not being in Seoul was OK, I accepted that. I knew that now being told twice that it would be difficult, I didn't want to make this process more difficult. Besides it is so much more expensive there and wanted to save. It was better not to be there. However, I was going away for a year and had my needs too.

We emailed back and forth a bit on this and about paperwork and then set up a time to have a phone interview. It was the only time we spoke on phone. Her schedule didn't permit that kind of relation, just through email. It was fine, at first I really wanted to have a voice through the process but realized that if she did that for everyone than she wouldn't have a life. We did have a nice chat and very easy to talk with her and happy to answer any initial questions. There after she responded to all questions and was honest. Some things she didn't know much on as when she went to Korea there wasn't a medical exam and not needing a background check. Pre 9/11. Don't we all know how much is different the world and everyday life is since then.


No comments:

Post a Comment